Sunday, March 18, 2007

IIM Bangalore

I finally was there living the life of an IIMB student for one day. It was held in the campus. There were three panels with two profs each.

The GD was a case as usual. It dealt with a conflict of two values of a company and the protagonist had to decide upon compromising one or none in order to pitch a huge deal. It was a cultured GD on the whole. I would rate myself 4th in the group of 10.

Interview:

1. So what are people discussing outside?
me: They are very much happy they are being questioned on their work ex and current affairs and not on academics.

2. Guess we have to change the trend then. Where can we start?

3. { The IT Prof started questioning on work ex then} tell me your profile exactly?

4. What technologies have you learnt till now?

5. How far have you explored UNIX?

6. What is the difference between C Shell and Bash Shell?
me: Answered the basic differences.

7. Have you done Kernel programming?
me: No. I just use is as a platform. We use it to schedule jobs. My major forte is in SAS.

{ SAS is an important business package that is used is IIMB research lab. I thought it could come in handy. But it never did :( }

8. Have you used crontab while scheduling?

9. Describe the business logic you have developed in the project.

{ Over to the Strategy Prof }

10. What is your stake on the Kaveri Issue? { Hailing form Tamil Nadu and sitting in B'lre, it was indeed a sensitive issue to discuss. I had to be as equivocal as possible. }

me: A 5 minute speech encompassing History, truth according to Karnataka govt. and TN govt., politics involved and my suggestions to solve the problem.

{ I seemed so convincing atleast to myself ;) }

11. What things would you consider if you had to move TCS to J&K?

me: Answered about the history, business climate, few things to be done on the govt. part before Tata's can take their first step.

12. You seem to be poor in maths. You have got D grade in two papers in math.

me: Grades aren't indicative of a person's talent.

13. But they do indicate how you have performed in the exams. Don't they??

{ I answered about Fourier transforms and cauchy's integral theorem being so tough for me intially. But they form a vital part of many other subjects and I pointed out a few in which I had scored A. The least I could do. }

14. Last quetion. Why should we take you?

0 comments: